googlef87758e9b6df9bec.html A Sure Word: How to NOT win people with the Gospel

Thursday, September 19, 2013

How to NOT win people with the Gospel


The “Reverend” Birch Rambo (yes, his name is Rambo) offered this insightful explanation of how he reconciles his Christian faith with his belief in evolution:

But enough pert answers and beating around the bush. Let’s cut to the chase.
The Bible says one thing and the theory of natural selection says something else. How can I or anyone believe both?

To be blunt, I can’t. I don’t believe the biblical account of creation.

I can’t believe, not because of my science background, but because the Bible doesn’t say one thing.

It says two. Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 offer two contradictory creation stories. Since the two different stories cannot both be believed, I rely on my God-given gifts of perception and reason for the facts.

I don’t believe the biblical accounts of creation, but I do believe IN them. A story that is not factual, can still show us truth.

The stories of creation teach us that all things find their source in God, that we are made in God’s image, and that creation is very good. We needn’t believe the facts of the stories to believe IN the truth they carry. Facts are to be seen, measured and tested.

The truth, like the Creator, is a person, not a thing to be grasped, but someone with whom to form a relationship — Jesus Christ, the Way, the Truth and the Life.

Does Rambo really believe this is a message that will convict people? Will people come to Christ if we tell them the Bible isn't true but it “teaches the truth”? Such a message doesn't even make sense.

Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6). Or did He? The Bible is the only record we have of the words of Christ. If the record of the Bible doesn't give us a factual account, then how do I know that Jesus is THE truth? Rambo claims to believe that Jesus is the Truth, so he must believe it because of John 14:6. But if the words of Moses who wrote Genesis aren't true, then how do I know the words of John are true when he quoted Jesus?

Mr. Rambo said that an account doesn't have to be factual in order to show us the truth. However, in the case of Scripture, I think it does. If Jesus didn't factually say, “I am the truth” then how can we say He is the truth? How can we believe anything the Bible says that He said?

Jesus also said in John 14:6 that no one comes to the Father except through Him. How can I “believe in” His words unless I believe them to be factual? If I want to preach a “truth” that is not borne out by the actual words of the Bible, then I could say someone simply has to have “faith” to be saved – not necessarily faith in Jesus.


Once you open the door to saying that the Bible doesn't actually mean what it clearly says, then the Bible doesn't mean anything. Or perhaps I should say it could mean anything. Faith comes by hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17). If you want people to not become saved, just tell them they don't have to believe the Bible.

No comments: