googlef87758e9b6df9bec.html A Sure Word: Happy Mother’s Day

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother’s Day

On Mother’s Day, churches all over the US will be talking about various mothers in the Bible and will hold them up as role-models of good mothers. There certainly are a lot of mothers discussed in the Bible but one of my favorites isn’t even named – the Bible only describes her as the mother of the sons of Zebedee (James and John). The Bible doesn’t say a lot about her but I know she was a great mother from what I read about her in Matthew:

“Then came to him the mother of Zebedees children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him. And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.” Matthew 20:21-22

So how do I know she was a great mother? First, we see first that she worshipped Jesus. Second, she also prayed for her sons to be with Jesus in heaven. What greater things can a mother do? Most mothers will provide for their children: food, shelter, clothes, and, of course, love - but these things only last for a while. The truly special mothers are concerned about their children’s eternal needs.

When the disciples heard the wife of Zebedee ask this, they were indignant (Matthew 20:24). Perhaps they thought it was a bit too much to ask for such a special position (to sit next to Jesus in heaven). But I say she was a great mother and wanted the best for her children.

So here is a salute to all the godly mothers out there who are praying for your children. My prayer on this day is that all of your prayers are answered.

And, mom, I’m sure you’ll be reading this: I love you.

Have a happy Mother’s Day!

No comments: