googlef87758e9b6df9bec.html A Sure Word: Walking on Water

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Walking on Water

“And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away. And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone. But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.” Matthew 14:22-32
The miracle of Jesus walking on the water is well known. Also well known is that Peter walked on water but, in a moment of doubt, began to sink.

I’ve heard preachers in the past chide Peter for his lack of faith. Admittedly, Jesus rebuked him and asked why he doubted. Even so, I don’t believe we should be too hard on Peter. Look at the other 11 disciples who didn’t even get out of the boat! I consider it a great marvel that Peter, in the midst of a raging storm, would even consider stepping out of the safety of the boat. Were I in the same situation, I’m not sure I would have.

Perhaps too many people are afraid of the consequences to fully trust God. One person might say, for example, “If I tithe this month, how will I pay my bills?” Another might say, “How can I leave the security of my job to start a ministry?” I think sometimes God has great things planned for us. But instead of stepping out in faith and receiving them, we sit in the security of our boat. We’re not going anywhere in our boat, mind you, we just feel safe here. I wonder what joys and experiences I’ve missed out on due to my own lack of faith?

I think the danger comes when we take our eyes off Jesus and begin worrying about what’s going on around us. The Bible says of Peter, “when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.” When he looked at Jesus, he walked on water. When he looked at the waves, he began to sink.

Peter should be our example. We should step out in faith, trusting the Lord to do miracles in our lives AND we should call out to Him and trust Him to save us when our faith wavers.

No comments: