googlef87758e9b6df9bec.html A Sure Word: Maybe Next Time, Keyes

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Maybe Next Time, Keyes

My buddy Alan Keyes was on Hannity & Colmes last night. I was a little surprised to see him in the Iowa debate; Actually, I didn’t get to watch it - I saw some of the clips. Who puts on a debate in the middle of the day? I have to work for a living! Anyway, on FOX he discussed his presidential run and his performance in the debate.

Ordinarily, Keyes would mop the floor with anyone he debated. He’s able to articulate the conservative message like no one I’ve ever seen. But due to the strange debate format (no doubt arranged by the same folks who aired a debate while most honest folks are working) no candidate was able to stand out. The general consensus among pundits was that at least no one made any major blunders.

I’ve always been a big fan of Keyes and, in elections past, I voted for him in the primaries. This time around, though, I wish he would step aside. He came in late (even after Fred Thompson) and is not even appearing in most national polls. Keyes pointed out that he was tied with Ron Paul in the most recent Gallup Poll [albeit for last place].

If Keyes had a shot in this election, I’d be all for it. But he doesn’t. My fear then is that he will siphon off conservative voters from more popular candidates like Huckabee, Romney, or Thompson and we end up electing the not-so-conservative Giuliani.

My hats off to Keyes. He does a lot of great work with his grassroots movement, Renew America but my advice to him would be to sit this one out. Thanks anyway, Alan. Maybe next time.

No comments: